Goto https://www.stucuk.netGoto https://www.atlanticaonlinewiki.comGoto https://www.game-requirements.comGoto https://www.owsupport.com
It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hey Stucuk...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:47 pm 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

Hi,
With new lua files now I can load empty system. Less FPU errors, but velocity still goes to infinity, even if I don't change it (only ship orientation). When I change velocity - it goes faster to the point when it raises to infinity. When I only move in space - it happens slower. When I don't change anything, nothing wrong happens (and nothing good:).
I attached two pictures, but max allowed by the forum resolution is 640x480, so not very clear. First - increasing in the progress, second - with infinite speed. Game starts in single precision, but when I force extended precision, velocity behaves the same way, maybe only later.

Game often wants (at exit?) one specific file and logs error about it:
ErrorText 0 : LUAError (2): cannot read data/local/ustrings.txt: No such file or directory Task: <data/local/ustrings.txt>

And I have a problem with a game menu with new lua files (not Main Manu, but menu invoked from the game - no caps on buttons, although it seems to work ok.

BTW. You can use free Tarr Chronicles Demo if you don't have retail version. I have both.

Regards, ixtern

Attachments:
File comment: This one with extended precision, velocity is big, but not infinity.
TarrChronicles_empty_system_extPrec_lowres.png
TarrChronicles_empty_system_extPrec_lowres.png [ 406.11 KiB | Viewed 2590 times ]
1080_empty_system_singlePrec_lowres.png
1080_empty_system_singlePrec_lowres.png [ 235.51 KiB | Viewed 2590 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:35 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

So you don't get any floating point errors at all?

Forgot about ustrings. Tarr/DH use different localisation ID's for the same text in the LUA files, ustrings allows the lua files to have the same ID's allowing them to be merged (Well means more shared LUA files instead of having duplicate LUA files which only differ slightly).

Attached is both the ustrings (Which need to be placed in data\local\ ) and a new exe. The new exe will hopefully force your velocity to be a maximum of the default speed you can go or the maximum boost speed (depending on if your boosting).

Note: LUAError's are warnings which Tarr/DH recieve after telling LUA to do something. You only see them in an error log at the end as they are considered as warnings. By default you won't ever see them as the game uses the older method of communicating with LUA which doesn't allow you to get feedback(Simply because the end user doesn't want to see an error log popup just because they played a level where Quazar have made a small mistake which doesn't effect the overall gameplay). The new system is only enabled if you use -devmode or -luadebug

P.S I have Tarr Chronicles and Dark Horizon. I couldn't make patches without owning them.

Attachments:
ustrings.rar [435 Bytes]
Downloaded 86 times

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:22 am 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

When I was testing game with the previous version I was distracted by "ustrings" errors so I didn't pay atention to aditional problems but generally in empty_system there was less or no FPU errors (sometimes). I must look at the old logs to find any but if I remember correctly, there was something like Invalid FPU operation.

New binary limits speed nicely but it is not very exiting to have always the same speed (after reaching limiting level there is no possibility to change velocity).

Despite limiting there are FPU exceptions in new version too (division by zero). Scenario when it occured was:
first mission, when first enemy arrives, I pressed key to select enemy (R - default binding) and - by coincidence or it was the cause - in that moment game crashed:

General Info
------------
Application : Tarr Chronicles
Filename : tarr.exe
Version : 1.0.8.0

Params : -DEVMODE -FPUEXCEPT
ParamCount : 2

System : m1_system_anterra
FPU State : pmSingle, rmNearest, exDenormalized, exUnderflow, exPrecision

Error Info
----------
ErrorText 0 : TCore.Run - Exception

Exception : Floating point division by zero
GetLastError() : Operacja ukonczona pomyslnie.

With extended FPU precision error also can be seen in the same scenario:

General Info
------------

Params : -DEVMODE -FPUEXCEPT -PMEXTENDED
ParamCount : 3

FPU State : pmExtended, rmNearest, exDenormalized, exUnderflow, exPrecision

Error Info
----------

[GetLastError() description is in Polish, it means: "Operation finished successfuly."]

Don't know if logs from log.txt can help but here is beginning of it and the few last lines:

23:52:01: <<<-TEngineClass.Init: ObjManagerClass.Init(3DEngine)[3000]dwAvailPhys: 2097152 kb, dwAvailPageFile: 4194304 kb
23:52:01: >>>-TEngineClass.Init: ObjManagerClass.Init(3DEngine)[3000]dwAvailPhys: 2097152 kb, dwAvailPageFile: 4194304 kb
23:52:02: RENDER ENGINE: CreateDrawObjects:
23:52:02: Device capables:
23:52:02: Texture size: 8192 x 8192
23:52:02: Max lights: 8
23:52:02: Pixel shader version 2.0: supported, instructions slots: 512
23:52:02: Point sprites is supported, max point size: 8.19200071806484E+0003
23:52:02: Init render engine time_sec 3.56679957142831E-0001
23:52:04: Begin loading data/models/fx/fx_laser_bullet.cm
23:54:50: ->onScan->ai->mission1_1scienceship->obj->_G
23:54:50: ->searshBestEnemy->ai->mission1_1scienceship->obj->_G
23:54:50: ->searshNewPatrolPoint->ai->mission1_1scienceship->obj->_G
23:54:50: ->onScan->ai->mission1_1guardtower->obj->_G
23:54:50: ->searshBestEnemy->ai->mission1_1guardtower->obj->_G
23:54:50: ->searshNewPatrolPoint->ai->mission1_1guardtower->obj->_G
23:54:50: ->onScan->ai->mission1_1sigma->obj->_G
23:54:50: ->searshBestEnemy->ai->mission1_1sigma->obj->_G
23:54:50: ->searshNewPatrolPoint->ai->mission1_1sigma->obj->_G
23:54:51: ->onAttack->ai->mission1_oneBlade->obj->_G
23:54:51: ->onAttacked->ai->playership1->obj->_G
23:54:51: ->onDamaged->ai->mission1_artefact->obj->_G
23:54:51: ->onDamage->ai->mission1_2destroyer->obj->_G
---

Regards, ixtern

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:20 am 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

ixtern wrote:
New binary limits speed nicely but it is not very exiting to have always the same speed (after reaching limiting level there is no possibility to change velocity).

:) Step in the right direction (At least you won't loose the mission the instant you boost :P).

ixtern wrote:
Despite limiting there are FPU exceptions in new version too (division by zero). Scenario when it occured was:
first mission, when first enemy arrives, I pressed key to select enemy (R - default binding) and - by coincidence or it was the cause - in that moment game crashed:

There are proberly lots of potential points for floating point errors. There are alot of divides in the game (All could potentially have divide by zeros) and there are also alot of calls to ArcCos and ArcSin maths functions which if the values you send are not in the -1 to 1 range will also give a floating point error (And the game doesn't check most of them... only checks the ones which caused errors for me).

ixtern wrote:
[GetLastError() description is in Polish, it means: "Operation finished successfuly."]

GetLastError() returns the last error message for the last call to a Windows API function which uses it to store error messages(Ones which don't return an error message themselves). 99% of the time it will say that message(I doubt it will ever give any useful information, but it doesn't hurt to have it in the log).

ixtern wrote:
Don't know if logs from log.txt can help but here is beginning of it and the few last lines:

Its one of the logs Quazar programmed. As far as i understand the lines show LUA asking the engine for a particular variable and the path to that variable. It may be useful for LUA related debugging, though i personally have never used Quazar's logs.

--------------

I have finally found out how to get extended exception information for errors like Floating Point Divide By Zeros. Its a case of asking the right question, for years (Iv been programming in Delphi since before 1997) iv only ever seen the standard replies of how to get exception message (Which for certain errors do not give you any address to the line which caused that error). Now iv found out how. The attached version will give extended error information, the most important of which is the EAddress lines which should allow me to track down the error to the specific line which caused it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:56 pm 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

Hi,
Indeed, there is a more info about FPU errors now.
Here is a log from the same scenario as previous (and error occured exactly after pressing R to select first enemy):

General Info
------------

Params : -DEVMODE -FPUEXCEPT
ParamCount : 2

FPU State : pmSingle, rmNearest, exDenormalized, exUnderflow, exPrecision

Error Info
----------

EAddress : 00650037
ECode : -1073741682
EFlags : 2
EInfo (0) : 0

Regards, ixtern

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:52 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

I haven't been able to trace the address to a line of the source code. Even tried a breakpoint but it was never reached during my play throughs.

Do you get any errors in the Empty System?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:28 pm 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

Sorry, I wasn't been able to crash the game in an empty sector - either in single or in extended precision.
Game pretty deterministic crashes in the first mission. This time I didn't select enemy (R) but after first fight I selected team leader (O). Result (EAddress) was the same as previous what suggests that the same method was called:

General Info
------------

Error Info
----------

Maybe this time you can get this far, try to cut off cut scene from the code. Or more debugs in code?
BTW. It should be faster to test the game for me if there would be a key to skip cut scenes.

Regarding velocity: when it "saturates" to max value, I cannot change it anymore, but I still can see "max set speed" marker changing according to the moves of a mouse wheel.

Regards, ixtern

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:54 am 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

ixtern wrote:
BTW. It should be faster to test the game for me if there would be a key to skip cut scenes.

That isn't a real posibility. The cutscenes (Like pretty much everything) are controlled via LUA. It tells the game when to start/end a cutscene and what to do in between. It would however be possible for me to modify the missions LUA to remove it. I will look into it.

ixtern wrote:
Or more debugs in code?

The problem is that its not that easy. Breakpoints for example are where you tell Delphi that when the application hits a specific line in the source that you want it to pause the application and tell you about it. You can then see the values of the variables/etc which are around that line to work out what is happening. But you can't use it on sections which are for example called every frame (Like the code which deals with object selection.. or more specifically the Hud element which follows the object you have selected on the screen) as it would literally pause the application every frame (So you wouldn't be able to for example fly the ship).

Puting bits in the code which say write to a log when some event happens or when the game reaches a point would only help if you have an idea of where in the code the problem is.

Basically there is alot of generic code in the game, all of which could be where the true problem is, and it may be the case that for 99% of the time that bit of code is called it works perfectly(Which makes it harder to find).

Its very hard to remotely debug a problem you can't re-create as your blind.

ixtern wrote:
Regarding velocity: when it "saturates" to max value, I cannot change it anymore, but I still can see "max set speed" marker changing according to the moves of a mouse wheel.

From what i can tell whats happening is that some calculation is screwing up and causing the result to be an Error(Either a NaN or Infinity). When you do calculations with NaN or Infinity it screws up all the resulting calculations. Which makes it hard to track down.

So what we know is that the problem happens after it works out how much it needs to accelerate or decelerate your ship based on the current speed that the user wants to fly the ship at.

What i don't get is why it doesn't happen to everyone.... Your computer is much newer than mine so your processor should be far superior(Id have thought mine would be the one to have floating point problems).

-----

I will start work on an application so i can find all instances of / (Divide), it will allow me to do a more specific search. The problem with Delphi is that // is for comments, and given the game has quite a few files it has ALOT of comments. A brief search (Which lasted seconds before i cancelled it) found over 2000 instances of / in the source code.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:02 pm 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

Maybe I can help a little with a div seek. I have written simple Perl script to find such character in all cpp files in current directory. It looks for a single "/" with spaces and/or alfanum chars. If finds something, prints a line number and a line content (file name also). I am rather a beginner in Perl so script is heavily commented and easy to configure. It displays results on screen but you can redirect it to a file. Currently it deesn't work with a underscores near slash (_/ or /_) but I think it is small probability to occur. Eventually I may improve script.
Regards, ixtern

P.S. Must paste into post as forum doesn't allow Perl file as an attachment:

#!/usr/bin/perl
# This script finds div operation ("/")
# in every .cpp file in the current directory

use strict;
use warnings;

print "This script finds div operator \/ in every .cpp file in the current directory.\n";

### *******************************************************************
###
### *******************************************************************

my $work_dir = ".";
my @arr_files;
my $file;
my @args;

# open directory
opendir(DIR_HANDLE, $work_dir) or die "can't opendir $work_dir: $!";

# -------------------------------------------------
# read all .cpp files from opened directory
@arr_files = grep( /\.cpp$/,readdir(DIR_HANDLE) );

### Alternate use
# read all files from opened directory
#@arr_files = readdir(DIR_HANDLE);
###

# close directory
closedir(DIR_HANDLE);

# process all files in array
foreach $file (@arr_files)
{
# print the filename
print "\nProcessing file: $file\n";

open FILE_HANDLE, $file or die $!; # open file for reading ($! - error message)

my $lineno = 1; # line counter

while (defined ($_ = <FILE_HANDLE>)) # read each line from the file and assign it to $_
{
# look for div char
# find in a line: slash (\/) with leading and trailing space
# or a slash with a leading and trailing alphanumeric character (\w)
# or mixed of above
if (($_ =~ / \/ /) || ($_ =~ /\w\/\w/) || ($_ =~ / \/\w/) || ($_ =~ /\w\/ /))
{
# if found - print line number and whole line itself
print $lineno++;
print ": $_";
}
}

close FILE_HANDLE;
}

### END-OF-FILE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:31 am 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

Thanks, but i have never used Perl before so i would have no clue how to modify it. I have also avoided PregEx style string comparison things due to never being able to find any decent documentation about them(Also i don't generally program in languages which use them).

The following is my attempt (The main bit). My app builds a list of all the files which are valid and then allows you to view the files and jump to the divides when you hit a button called Find. It was suffering speed issues though i managed to speed it up alot this morning by modifying PosEx to ignore divides which had a divide either side of it(Its alot cheaper to do it inside PosEx than to rely on the validation bit to test for it).

Code:
function PosEx(Search : Char; Line : String; Position : Integer = 1) : Integer; //Customised version of my PosEx function
var
 X : Integer;
 L : Integer;
begin
 L      := Length(Line);

for X := Position to L do
 if (X < L) and (X > 1) and (Line[X] = Search) and (Line[X+1] <> Search) and (Line[X-1] <> Search) then
 begin
  Result := X;
  Exit;
 end;
 Result := 0;
end;

procedure AddToList(Filename : String);
var
 EXT : String;
 SL  : TStringList;
 P,L : Integer;
 S   : String;
begin
 EXT := (Lowercase(ExtractFileExt(Filename)));
 if not ((EXT = '.pas') or (EXT = '.inc')) then Exit;

SL := TStringList.Create;
  SL.LoadFromFile(Filename);
  P := Pos('implementation',Lowercase(SL.Text));
  if P = 0 then
  P := 1;
  S := SL.Text;
  L := Length(S);
  Repeat
   P := PosEx('/',S,P);
   if P > 0 then
   begin
    if (P > 1) and (S[P-1] in ['a'..'z','A'..'Z','0'..'9',')',' ']) then
    if (P < L) and (S[P+1] in ['a'..'z','A'..'Z','0','(',' ']) then
    begin
     FrmMain.ListBox.Items.Add(Filename);
     Break;
    end;
    Delete(S,1,P);
    P := 1;
    L := Length(S);
   end;
  Until (P = 0) or (P > L);
 SL.Free;
end;

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:10 am 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

Hi,
Don't be so shy about Perl - if you know one programming language, you know all of them :) I write Perl script once a year or two so always I must parse Internet for the Perl or Regular Expressions (RegEx) references. There are many good tutorials for both. RegEx in code always look complex, so it is better to start it from scratch. Don't know Delphi so I explain it in Perl, but idea is the same for all:

boolResult = (sourceString =~ /substring /)
Real RegEx expression is between //. It can be a single character, substring or anything you can imagine within Regex rules.

If you want to find slash /, you must use escape character for slash: \/.
boolResult = (sourceString =~ /\//)

You want to add alphanumeric char (\w) from both sides:
boolResult = (sourceString =~ /\w\//\w)

More you add, more it look weird so I prefer to do it incrementally.
There are additional hidden variables to get more info from RegEx but I think it is enough, maybe you know this.

Your code: I noticed that you rather avoid comments. I prefer to have as many comments as possible. Many years ago, when I was working for my own (programming) my best and most difficult parts of code was written in a deep night and in the morning I didn't understand them - only comments allowed me to continue. And your variable names are not the most descriptive also :). But it is up to you if a code is for your internal purposes.

if (P > 1) and (S[P-1] in ['a'..'z','A'..'Z','0'..'9',')',' ']) then
if (P < L) and (S[P+1] in ['a'..'z','A'..'Z','0','(',' ']) then

You know the engine source code so perhaps ther are no such divisions like
arr[1]/var2 or var1_/var2 or var1/_var2 but you may check it.

FrmMain.ListBox.Items.Add(Filename);

You log only file name? No line number, no line content? Don't know if Delphi processing it by line or as a whole string?
Better to process by line if you want have all that info but faster is as a whole string. I would prefer more info than speed.

Regards, ixtern

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:32 am 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

ixtern wrote:
Don't know Delphi so I explain it in Perl, but idea is the same for all

Delphi doesn't have Regular Expressions by default (With Delphi 6 anyway. I know its old but it works perfectly fine). There is code that people have made to allow you to do RegEx.

ixtern wrote:
Your code: I noticed that you rather avoid comments. I prefer to have as many comments as possible. Many years ago, when I was working for my own (programming) my best and most difficult parts of code was written in a deep night and in the morning I didn't understand them - only comments allowed me to continue. And your variable names are not the most descriptive also :). But it is up to you if a code is for your internal purposes.

I don't generally have that problem these days(I have been programming since before 1997, don't know exactly when. Thats when i entered High School). I only do comments if i plan on releasing code. Even then i only do it on things i think people may not understand or will be useful. I do sometimes have difficulties understanding other peoples code though i can generally read my own.

ixtern wrote:
You know the engine source code so perhaps ther are no such divisions like
arr[1]/var2 or var1_/var2 or var1/_var2 but you may check it.

You are correct. I missed those cases out(I personally don't put _ infront or behind variables though Quazar seems to at least put them infront of some).

ixtern wrote:
You log only file name? No line number, no line content? Don't know if Delphi processing it by line or as a whole string?
Better to process by line if you want have all that info but faster is as a whole string. I would prefer more info than speed.

It has the line info, though i never used it (I just searched for the line in question in Delphi, which is fast).
Attachment:
divsearch.PNG
divsearch.PNG [ 56.58 KiB | Viewed 2547 times ]

-----------------------------

Attached is the latest version. Next step would be to follow the speed changer thingy to try and see what happens between you changing your speed and the velocity thats shown on the interface.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:12 pm 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

Hi,
Are there any new stuff in the last version? Didn't notice any.
This time I have been able to crash the game in two different places:

- first like always is in the first scenario; this time I didn't wait for the enemy but I tried to invoke error earlier, by pressing O key (select leader). After some time (when all tutorial actions were done), divide by zero error occured.

General Info
------------

Error Info
----------

- second time game failed when I was exiting from empty system into main menu, but it is not usual path for regular user so don't know if everything was clear. Anyway here is the log:

General Info
------------

System : empty_system

Error Info
----------

Exception : Invalid floating point operation
EAddress : 0048A040
ECode : -1073741680

Regards, ixtern

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:33 am 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

ixtern wrote:
Are there any new stuff in the last version? Didn't notice any.

Potential Divide by Zero's eliminated.

-------

I think that 00650037 is inside a D3D DLL. 0048A040 points to an area that deals with the Jet FX (stuff that comes out of the engines) which had some divides that i missed. Btw, does the match speed mode make any difference? Default is the M Key, its designed to set you speed to the same speed as whatever you have targeted.

The attached version has a new parameter called -forcevelocity , It should force your velocity to be the speed you set. Note that it is instant, so if you put the boosters on your speed will instantly be the maximum boost speed, there is no gradual change.

P.S You don't need to use the -FPUEXCEPT anymore as its not finding anything related to your speed issue.

Attachments:
tarr.rar [636.94 KiB]
Downloaded 88 times

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:55 pm 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

Wow! With the last version I can play whole first mission without any exceptions. Targeting enemies, leaders, matching speed - all works. Speed issue still remains, but with -forcevelocity parameter it is passable. Good work. Hope that Dark Horizon soon will be de-bugged too :)
Later will try the next Tarr mission.
Regards, ixtern