Goto https://www.stucuk.netGoto https://www.atlanticaonlinewiki.comGoto https://www.game-requirements.comGoto https://www.owsupport.com
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:51 pm 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

Incidently, I tried to buy the Cold Stars game (here: http://gama-gama.ru/detail/zvezdy__holodnye_igr21/) but my VISA card kept getting denied. I gave up on it. Do you happen to know if there's any European or American on-line sales point for it?

I don't know why, but the space combat games I like best all seem to be commercial flops, and all come from Russia (Dark Horizon, Cold Stars, Tarr chronicles, Space Interceptor: Project Freedom...). Although the graphics aren't that great, Space Interceptor: Project Freedom has the smoothest ship controls I've ever experienced! I would love to make a mod for that game too! Maybe I will, some day, when I'm a little more experienced at modding...

I'l recreate the game crashes with my mod and look for any error logs. I'll let you know what I find out.

Best wishes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:28 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

cornel wrote:
Incidently, I tried to buy the Cold Stars game (here: http://gama-gama.ru/detail/zvezdy__holodnye_igr21/) but my VISA card kept getting denied. I gave up on it. Do you happen to know if there's any European or American on-line sales point for it?

There is no versions other than Russian (It was released during the financial recessions start in 2008 so Publishers stopped buying games which were not AAA titles). I don't own a copy and i was never given the source to it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:29 pm 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

Actually, if you can get hold of the game, there was an english translation patch released: http://www.coldstars.ru/ :)
Only one problem left... where to buy the game?

http://spacesimcentral.com/ssc/topic/552-cold-stars/
Seems Cold Stars is even better (graphics and gameplay) than Dark Horizon and Tarr Chronicles...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:34 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

cornel wrote:
Actually, if you can get hold of the game, there was an english translation patch released: http://www.coldstars.ru/ :)
Only one problem left... where to buy the game?

http://spacesimcentral.com/ssc/topic/552-cold-stars/
Seems Cold Stars is even better (graphics and gameplay) than Dark Horizon and Tarr Chronicles...

Never knew they released an English Patch. It was uploaded on 2012/08/18 (I have access to the server). I know that Timur Lazarenko worked on the LUA for ColdStars and re-wrote it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:41 pm 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

Thanks for this info, Stuart! I've contacted Timur over FaceBook. Let's see what he's got to say about Cold Stars...

Back to DH: How can I turn off the introductory movies at the start of the game?

Where can I put the godmode option (changing it to 1 in the new.cfg doesn't work) in my mod and what is the correct lua syntax?

I've got the mod visually almost the way I like it. The last part I wanted to eliminate is the top pannel with the communication messages and the speakers head animation. But I can't seem to find any code concerning this pannel. I've used LuaSearch to find scripts about "text", "dialogue", "speak", "talk", "message", "comm" and "communication"... without any luck. Do you know where the lua code is for the communications pannel?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:15 am 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

cornel wrote:
Thanks for this info, Stuart! I've contacted Timur over FaceBook. Let's see what he's got to say about Cold Stars...

Well he was also the CEO of Quazar, but he didn't do any programming on Tarr or DH afaik.

cornel wrote:
Back to DH: How can I turn off the introductory movies at the start of the game?

-nologos

cornel wrote:
Where can I put the godmode option (changing it to 1 in the new.cfg doesn't work) in my mod and what is the correct lua syntax?

new.cfg is a global file afaik. One for the end user not modders. Iv never used it. If you look at godmode in LUASearch it is turned on/off via some lua code.

cornel wrote:
I've got the mod visually almost the way I like it. The last part I wanted to eliminate is the top pannel with the communication messages and the speakers head animation. But I can't seem to find any code concerning this pannel. I've used LuaSearch to find scripts about "text", "dialogue", "speak", "talk", "message", "comm" and "communication"... without any luck. Do you know where the lua code is for the communications pannel?

I don't know. I never made Tarr/DH. Like i said before you should look at the textures, find the one for the interface element your looking for and then search for its filename via luasearch. This will lead you to the gui element.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:17 am 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

I did, but I couldn't find any graphics from the comm pannel. LuaSearch came up empty aswell, as I said. I've really looked through all the possible lua files to find some code pertaining the communications pannels, but I didn't see anything remotely related :(

-nomovies, -nointro, -nointros, -nomovie, -nointromovie -nologos or -nologo does not work: you still have to left-click to skip the intro movie (not talking about the company logos) every time the game starts... Even putting "set("Movies::visible", 0)", "set("Movies::enabled", 0)" and "set("Movies::ticked", 0)" in the mod_main_end.lua won't skip the intro... What am I doing wrong here, Stu?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:06 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

cornel wrote:
I did, but I couldn't find any graphics from the comm pannel.

replic_panel.bmp looks exactly like it. Sound files for them talking is under the replics folder, so it stands to reason.

cornel wrote:
-nomovies, -nointro, -nointros, -nomovie, -nointromovie -nologos or -nologo does not work: you still have to left-click to skip the intro movie (not talking about the company logos) every time the game starts... Even putting "set("Movies::visible", 0)", "set("Movies::enabled", 0)" and "set("Movies::ticked", 0)" in the mod_main_end.lua won't skip the intro... What am I doing wrong here, Stu?

Loading.lua:
Code:
system.execute({
          "iTimers.Start(1000, callback)",
          "iDesktop.PlayLogoSequence(callback)",
          "iDesktop.PlayMovie(iGame.IntroMovie, nil, callback, {BlackBackground=1})",
          "iRootMenu.Open()",
        })

I will let you work out what you need to do.

P.S I have attached OEST, it was going to be a mod where id try and turn Tarr into a game where you can travel between systems at your lesure using gates (Like Freelancer/X-Series) but as i said before it would require changes to the levels/maps/systems/whateveryoucallthem which ground the project to a halt (So there is not alot of code).

Oh and i think OEST stood for Open Ended Space Travel.

P.S2 As iv been writing this post an idea struck me. It should be possible to use a map editor like Valves Hammer (Used for Source Engine games like Half-Life 2) and convert the map to a cm file that Tarr/DH can use for the system. The actual geometry inside the systems cm files are replaced with the geometry from the ships/stations models. So the only thing that is needed is coordinates rather than geometry (As well as some parameters like the name of the entity).

Attachments:
OEST.rar [234.55 KiB]
Downloaded 17 times

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:33 pm 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

First of all: I really appreciate you taking the time to look into things for me!

I'll have a look at the replics files tonight (can't believe I missed those...). Thanks for pointing them out to me!

About the loading.lua: I already found that entry and tried to eliminate the PlayMovie part, including the loading.lua file in my mod folder and compiling it, but the intro movie still played...

OEST... sounds VERY interesting!!! If you ever have some spare time :) I, for one, will absolutely be playing (and enjoying) that mod!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by cornel on Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:58 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

cornel wrote:
About the loading.lua: I already found that entry and tried to eliminate the PlayMovie part, including the loading.lua file in my mod folder and compiling it, but the intro movie still played...

Its the only bit in the code that for example references the logo's so it has to be that bit of code.

EDIT: Tested and it is the right bit of code to change.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:46 pm 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

Yeah, I know. I couldn't find any other meaningful code about the iMovie / IntroMovie either... Still, it was strange that it didn't work... Where could the game get the instruction of playing that movie when I erased it from loading.lua? Maybe I'm doing it wrong: I included the modified loading.lua in the mod folder and compiled it, together with the mod_main_end.lua. Was that wrong? Maybe the game only looks at its own loading.lua, so maybe I need to include the code intro the mod_main_end.lua?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:19 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

cornel wrote:
Yeah, I know. I couldn't find any other meaningful code about the iMovie / IntroMovie either... Still, it was strange that it didn't work... Where could the game get the instruction of playing that movie when I erased it from loading.lua? Maybe I'm doing it wrong: I included the modified loading.lua in the mod folder and compiled it, together with the mod_main_end.lua. Was that wrong? Maybe the game only looks at its own loading.lua, so maybe I need to include the code intro the mod_main_end.lua?

The game loads from the mod folder over the games folder. Only if it can't find the file in the mods folder it will then use the games. Are you sure you placed it in the same directory structure?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:52 pm 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

How's this for strange: I replaced the game's loading.lua with the compiled modified one, and now it works! The game will start without the intro movie... But if it's true what you say, that the game will first look for the lua files in the mod folder, then how come it wouldn't pick up on my modified loading.lua? I must have mad a mistake somewhere, but I don't know where. I'll start a new mod, a clean start, and experiment a bit to find out where my error lies.

What do you use to view the image files? I use IrfanView and the replic_panel.bmp is just a white space in this image viewer. There's nothing there. Do you see the communications pannel when you open replic_panel.bmp?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:36 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

cornel wrote:
How's this for strange: I replaced the game's loading.lua with the compiled modified one, and now it works! The game will start without the intro movie... But if it's true what you say, that the game will first look for the lua files in the mod folder, then how come it wouldn't pick up on my modified loading.lua? I must have mad a mistake somewhere, but I don't know where. I'll start a new mod, a clean start, and experiment a bit to find out where my error lies.

Its likely the directory structure is different. Its looking for <YOURMOD>\interface\offgame\loading.lua

cornel wrote:
What do you use to view the image files? I use IrfanView and the replic_panel.bmp is just a white space in this image viewer. There's nothing there. Do you see the communications pannel when you open replic_panel.bmp?

They are 32Bit BMP's so they have an Alpha Channel that describes the transparency of each pixel. The RGB Channels are pure white. 24Bit BMP's just have the RGB Channels. Most are not 32Bit but 24Bit so some image editors/viewers may not display them correctly, or you will have to hide the RGB Channel and show the alpha one to see it right.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:58 pm 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

So I did a test, making a new mod, with the correct folder structure, and again it didn't work: although in the loading.lua the PlayMovies code was removed, the intro movie would play. I don't know if it's important, but I noticed that, when compiling the mod, apart from creating the compiled folder with the mod's folder structure and the compiled modified lua files, it also created a duplicate of that same folder structure with the modified lua files, all inside a folder called "data", which was placed inside the data folder from the mod. Is this a normal behavior for BRUSDK?

Any image viewer (for Windows 7) you would recommend to work with while modding?

I gave up on the whole intro movie skipping by means of the mod. It just won't work on my PC. So I've once again replaced the loading.lua in the game folder and now the intro movie will not play at game start, so that's okay I guess.

RECAP: The mod works fine, except for two workarounds: the mentioned manually replacing of the original loading.lua (because the modded one is not used by the game) and the positioning outside of the screen area of the following pannels and lists (because hiding them by setting their visibility to zero won't work):

set("RocketPanel::left",9999)
set("RocketPanel::image","")

set("GunPanel::left",9999)
set("GunPanel::image","")

set("FriendList::left",9999)
set("FriendList::image","")

set("EnemyList::left",9999)
set("EnemyList::image","")

set("TargetList::left",9999)
set("TargetList::image","")

set("TargetPanel::left",9999)
set("TargetPanel::image","")

I'll now delve into the communications pannel modding. I'll let you know how that works out :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next