It is currently Sun May 31, 2020 10:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Total OW balance proposition
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:12 pm 

So, since the scope of the project widened to balance everything, I've put together a first draft of how I think OW should be changed to make everything in OW useful for something while, in my opinion, not changing too much.
As of yet it lacks detailed statistics but should give you the general idea. I'll appreciate any feedback.

You can get it from this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8x4xdf0faubqv ... n.pdf?dl=0

Edit: It now contains detailed statistics.

Post subject: Re: Total OW balance proposition
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:43 pm 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

If you increase the range of a warehouse it could also be used to build mines outside the base, introducing more resource management. But I'm afraid if you accommodate maps like the Abyss or Bastard Pass, it will mean that on the smaller maps you could build turrets and barracks right into enemy base, like in sw game. Seems to me there's too much potential for abuse here.

How exactly the day/night cycle could be implemented?

Be careful not to overestimate the double laser. As it is, they usually lose to hg on upgrade 3, and can still loose to lower upgrades because it's difficult to use them.

Flamethrower might be a bit neglected there. Have you considered increasing it's range and ability to rotate like in some other mods?

Rockets and rocket launchers actually seem to be pretty balanced already and don't need separate roles. They both do equal damage to vehicles and the Rocket is only slightly better against buildings. The smaller one is cheaper, takes less research, can rotate and is faster on medium chassis, while the other gives bigger range and a little extra damage. The only thing preventing early use of rocket launcher is a lack of radar. We might consider giving ru a radar for good.

Also, by this comparison, hg doesn't necessarily have to be weaker than gun. If guns were cheaper and the damage difference wasn't so big I think it might work the same way.

It seems unreasonable to have to research ape control and upgrades only to make some 6 vehicles for the whole game. Introducing respawn seems like a far more reasonable idea and isn't hard to do. Also it will make ar overpowered whenever they happen to get more apes.

The technologies of ape taming can be made more useful by increasing ape skills. They are twice lower, so an ape with level 8-10 would be like a sol/eng level 4-5, which is not too bad. Only note that the cap doesn't apply for upgrading buildings. So if you had an ape eng level 10, he could upgrade the building levels to level 10, giving a big defence boost.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:55 pm 

I wouldn't call that abuse. Honestly if you let someone build a barracks right outside of your base you deserve it. Looking at it simply as at numbers, it is just a different type of enemy unit, deal with it with an appropriate counter.

The same way how Throwback does it, but I would exclude solar vehicles since we had problems with synchronization caused by differences in fuel on solar vehicles between players. So the only effect is decreased solar power energy output.

I would like to try it out first. If double laser will be too weak, we can buff it.

Flamethrower is terrible at hitting even soldiers thanks to that stupid slow flames. And you wouldn't want to get close to barracks with it, better to send a bomb. Destroying trees is the only job I can concieve flamethrower would be good at.

Ok, I'll keep rockets as they are for now. I don't want to give russian radar per se, but they get a bit of a substitute with increased vision on heavy machine gun and maybe behemot as well.

I would at best make them the same strength but we will see.

Ape respawn will be included (its in the document), see the document. And yes, the apeman driver level probably doesn't need to be that high when we add in the respawn. Depends how it will get implemented.

I would like to increase spawned apemen skill as time goes. Apeman engineers still won't be that great, but that decreased research time doesn't do much of a difference anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:23 pm 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

I meant that spamming turrets everywhere could turn to be a better strategy on smaller maps, than using vehicles. They are cheaper after all.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:58 am 

That we will have to find out. I'm not that worried about it, towers can't move and still need someone/something to man them, should be easy to counter with rocket launchers. It might even turn out into fun new strategy.
The only thing I am worried about is someone walling himself off with a lot of barracks and going straight for siberite bomb. There it depends on how long can you keep enemy away from your depot with just barracks and half of your people.