Goto https://www.stucuk.netGoto https://www.atlanticaonlinewiki.comGoto https://www.game-requirements.com

Menu

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: making GBI's
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:08 pm 
Soldier level 2
Soldier level 2

just say i wanted to make a level from scratch, how do i get the land, rocks and hills to look 'real', like one's from the campagin? thanks

Post subject: Re: making GBI's
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:16 pm 
Original-War.Net Owner
Original-War.Net Owner

Our wiki has an interesting page about it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:03 pm 
Soldier level 2
Soldier level 2

yes i read the page on 'grndsec' and understand everything but 1 part, 'Modify the ground bitmap you saved using your favorite image editor'. what do i have to modify in the map??? if i change it wont it look bad? thanks. i did it to 'tripler' as a test. i exported GBI, went into paint and but a few black dots on the edge of the map, then loaded and autopacked and saved it, then i imported, saved and restarted but it was still the same GBI in the map. what did i do wrong, was it the modify part?? thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:28 pm 
Soldier level 2
Soldier level 2

yes i read the page on 'grndsec' and understand everything but 1 part, 'Modify the ground bitmap you saved using your favorite image editor'. what do i have to modify in the map??? if i change it wont it look bad? thanks. i did it to 'tripler' as a test. i exported GBI, went into paint and but a few black dots on the edge of the map, then loaded and autopacked and saved it, then i imported, saved and restarted but it was still the same GBI in the map. what did i do wrong, was it the modify part?? thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:23 pm 

You don't have to modify anything in the map itself, just the exported ground bitmap. When I tried I just edited the ground bitmap with paint which made it look kinda odd bit I think it's because of the color scheme it uses or something (I don't know - never tried to make a GBI before).
You can manually check what GBI a map is using. Go to the map folder and open map.txt. Under "MAIN_DEFINITIONS" (the first block) the GBI is stated after "MAP_GBI" (if this line doesn't exist, no GBI is used). I don't know if the GBI has to be in a folder called GroundBI in the map directory for this to work, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:12 am 

McBenn wrote:
I don't know if the GBI has to be in a folder called GroundBI in the map directory for this to work, though.

Yes it has.

THE Very active person

"You can only do well at something if you put the time in. Doesn't matter what subject it is. You can't make a master piece over night."
Wise man Stu-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:37 pm 
Soldier level 2
Soldier level 2

ok but what i wanted to know is do you have to actually draw the maps with paint or something to make them look real or can the 'grndsec' program do that automatically? thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:04 pm 

With grndsec you can only export GBI file from bitmap.
You need to paint it, or copy from other maps.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:29 pm 
Soldier level 2
Soldier level 2

ah :( thats so hard to do. how do others do it so well?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:44 pm 

I have been wondering too... it's photoshop magic!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:25 am 

McBenn wrote:

Lol.

THE Very active person

"You can only do well at something if you put the time in. Doesn't matter what subject it is. You can't make a master piece over night."
Wise man Stu-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:03 am 
Original-War.Net Owner
Original-War.Net Owner

gwren1 wrote:
McBenn wrote:

Lol.

MAGIC <3

No, really. You should know PS a little bit and grab some textures from other maps to make it look cool.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:15 pm 

The tool people who modify maps in Photoshop use most, is the "CLONE" tool.

Here's a tutorial for you to feel familiar with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ncisyd2nDNs

The guy says that you use it for removing things, it actually "clones" what you select by pressing Alt+click and whatever else is in the course of movement that you do with your mouse. So rather than "an erasing tool" it is a "copying tool".

The rest is some creativity, planning, and matching with your hexes' height. And about that, what I used to do was first create the map in the editor, then export the grid view or whatever it is called, and the map's image. Then in Photoshop I created three layers, the first, is the ground image, the second, the future gbi (What you modify) and the third the hexes map (Counting from bottom up). So what you do is set the hexes' map layer semitransparent, like 25% or 35%, and in another window you open the original map from a mission (Or maps, but that will be more complex, just a bit), then you Alt+Click on that window, and then you go clicking in the map. There's some time I don't use Photoshop for a while, so if that doesn't work, create a new layer in your map's project, and put there the mission's image you want to take the information from (I call it information, you call it pixels, whatever), then switch to that layer, alt+click, then switch to your image layer (Call image the final result you want) and go clicking. Repeat the last process for what you want to copy, etc.
If you want to know more, I suggest someone asks Maniek to make a tutorial (If he didn't already in his community), he is very very good on this.

Regards, and I hope you can archieve your goal with this little guide.

Oh, and the last part: once you're done, delete all the other layers except the one you want, which is where you have cloned all the stuff in, and export it as a 256 colours .BMP file, make sure you use something like "All present colours palette", otherwise your image will look bad.
Then you export, work with Grndsec, put it on the GroundBI folder in your mod, import with the editor, save, restart, and TADAAA!

Alright, hope this helps,
GWren1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:42 pm 
Soldier level 4
Soldier level 4

The stamp tool in Paint.net can also be used. And the program is free, so... :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:28 pm 

0warfighter0 wrote:
The stamp tool in Paint.net can also be used. And the program is free, so... :wink:

Well, I heard of a clone tool in Gimp as well. I think Gimp is far more powerful. And free, of course.

THE Very active person

Wise man Stu-