It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:17 pm 

See? :D

THE Very active person

"You can only do well at something if you put the time in. Doesn't matter what subject it is. You can't make a master piece over night."
Wise man Stu-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:02 am 
Soldier level 4
Soldier level 4

Just write as many options, randoms and so on as possible and you'll finally get a hardcore file full of "worms" which ain't gonna do anything special except loosing every single battle :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:27 am 

Ha ha, like in the movies, ah kid? :P

THE Very active person

"You can only do well at something if you put the time in. Doesn't matter what subject it is. You can't make a master piece over night."
Wise man Stu-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:54 pm 
Soldier level 4
Soldier level 4

Once I had about 50 extended defensive functions but it all got **** up when my hard drive got overheated and broke... It was quite heavy, it bet me in 50% cases... but it worked only if there was already built a basic-level base and I had almost all heavy equipment disabled.

Edit: 1st violation to the rules, remember to don't post bad words. Take this as a warning for next time. Bad word replaced with asterisks. -Aleph-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:20 pm 

zadek wrote:
Once I had about 50 extended defensive functions but it all got **** up when my hard drive got overheated and broke... It was quite heavy, it bet me in 50% cases... but it worked only if there was already built a basic-level base and I had almost all heavy equipment disabled.

Kk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:39 pm 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

cant you take the ai off of another game
and if you make one it needs to have a easy. medium and hard modes to it. then the map editor needs to be able to make maps for it.
and to come to think of it you might aswell do a total conversion of the game to make it viable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:00 am 

Welcome to the Community! :D

Ashleythedragon wrote:
cant you take the ai off of another game

Most of the Games I know have protection, and I mean a legal one, on their source codes, those are the main programmed blocks where all the structures of code the game uses are located, and in most cases, the A.I. as well... This means that first, you need to know at least C# language to understand what you will examine, and second, to have access to their Source Code you need an "explicit permisson" from them.
Tough, there are open source projects (I know only one) that offer free access to their main codes. The one I know is Glest: www.glest.org
In short words, its very complex to be done, but not impossible.

Ashleythedragon wrote:
if you make one it needs to have a easy. medium and hard modes to it. then the map editor needs to be able to make maps for it.

That is possible, but keep in mind that a skirmish mode, if made, would be added as a "Game-mode" in Multiplayer, or as "Bot" blocks, for each Computer side. Normally, these modes are available for Single Player, but I guess it could be possible to configure the level of the Bots or the "mode" one.

Ashleythedragon wrote:
and to come to think of it you might aswell do a total conversion of the game to make it viable.

A total conversion means purely hardcoding... The only capable of that here, and also authorized, is Stu, the forum admin and main collaborator. And about collaborating, he is at the moment very busy working on the patches and improving the online play, as some often-ocurring synch-losts were encountered time ago. So in conclusion, its not viable to make a hardcoding of the game to make the skirmish; in the other hand, Stu may provide improvements by creating useful functions for tracing important data, for example a function to create an area in the map, and then checking it for enemy units, and another for deleting that area when it becomes useless. The coding for the multiplayer isn't very hard as far as I know, so in that part it might be viable.

In final words, an "AI" should be possible, but two things are needed: time and knowledge. These two things don't come from one day to another, but there is some people who have them, or part of. If someone wants to collaborate with this and knows something about, or has a lot of interest (AND TIME) to participate, I invite him/she to do so as a Mip mod collab., feel free to PM me and I will tell you how to become a member and what you could start doing.

Have fun! Visit us often! And sorry for the so long post! :P

THE Very active person

Wise man Stu-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:54 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

Gwren1 is partaly right about AI's. You can't decompile a game to nick there AI. Even if you did it wouldn't be compatible with Original War.

Total Convertions arn't 100% possible due to the game being hardcoded in certain parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:36 pm 

stucuk wrote:
Gwren1 is partaly right about AI's. You can't decompile a game to nick there AI. Even if you did it wouldn't be compatible with Original War.

You are also partially right about the level of my impartiality :lol: I never said I would "copy+paste" the code into OW. Thats impossible as SAIL is a derivated from Original War's main code and therefore, as you say, its incompatible with the other source code's language.

Did I make it clearer now? :P

THE Very active person

Wise man Stu-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:50 am 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

Your explination made it sound like it was possible to extract an AI from another game(Which has been compiled). This is imposible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:27 pm 

stucuk wrote:
This is imposible.

Impossible is nothing :P

Yes, I know it may be impossible to copy it "PLAIN like". But what I ment with my post, from my understanding, is that one could have a "basis" on that AI (Look into it, see what thing connects each other, etc.) and then, based on that, but adapting the contents to the Original War context, using the available functions and creating new ones IF POSSIBLE, COULD be made... But as I said in the end: its very complex.

THE Very active person

Wise man Stu-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:19 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

Sigh. Id guess you would know better than me. After all you have been programming for 9 years.

Note: Yes im being sarcastic.

Even if you decompile a game (Which in its self generaly leads to errors in the decompilation) its not going to be in any easy to understand format (Like Higher English style syntax like C++/Delphi/Etc). Ontop of that there would be thousands of lines of code in an average game, finding the right area to look for would be a neadle in a haystack. Even if you did, the game would work compleatly different to Original War. So nothing you get could actualy be applyed to Original War. So as i said, it would be imposible to nick an AI from an existing game and put it in OW. It would be far simpler just to code your own AI in SAIL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:34 pm 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

So in a nutshell, it's possible but not 100%?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:52 pm 

Zhen wrote:

What thing?

THE Very active person

Wise man Stu-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:57 pm 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

gwren1 wrote:
Zhen wrote:

What thing?

A working AI/skirmish mode I meant, sorry if I wasn't clear.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next