It is currently Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Pre-demo version testing phase.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:55 pm 
Soldier level 4
Soldier level 4

Everybody who wants to get the pre-demo version (to be released on 1.02.) please sign up here for the testing phase. It will go on until 14.02 and the official demo release will follow on the 21st of February.

Last edited by Gwrhkhsh on Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:41 pm 

I don't know how much sparetime I'm gonna have the next weeks, but I will do what I can :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:21 am 
Soldier level 4
Soldier level 4

Pre-demo testing phase has started. I've already posted McBenn the link, if you want to take part in testing of this mod, you still can sign up here. Also please post your opinions in this topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:39 pm 

First of all: This is an interesting project I would love to see more of :D Below are my comments on the missions and main menu.

----------------------------------------------------
The main manu
It's cool you have redesigned the options panel (gives it a professional touch :P) but shouldn't it be centered? When I first saw it I thought it was a bug or something, but if I understand the code in "UIDlgAlien.txt" correctly, the panel is deliberately placed in the left side of the screen. It would look better if it was centered - if it's the background that's the problem (the background is quite bright so the panel would almost disappear if it was centered), I can make another background for you.

When you enter the "select mission screen", it's hard to read the text (white text vs. bright background).

Mission 1 - The First?
In the first part of the mission where you see Zelenyuk and a bunch of other scientists and soldiers go to the TAWAR, I miss a little briefing about what is going on. What is the TAWAR? Why are these people sent back in time? These preliminary questions could be answered in the mission briefing (you know the text displayed when the mission loads) or better yet - with a video before the first mission starts.

The environment deserves applause - almost flat land with withered, brown grass with a stone and a tree here and there; a few, not very deep, waterholes now and then and almost no wildlife. That's exactly what I can imagine Siberia looks like: a barren wasteland.

When Zelenyuk arrives at N. N. Krestinsky 3 he takes over the command of the base. Why is that? The base already has a commander (the guy speaking over the radio in the beginning of the mission). It's not necessaryly necessary with an explicit reason - you could just add some extra dialogue where Zelenyuk kinda takes initiative of what to do - you know like "repair the damaged buildings" and "build additional breastworks".

Also when Zelenyuk reaches the base I think Zelenyuk should be curious about what the situation is like on the large scale: How are things going with the siberite? Does the Americans pose a threat? Who is the superior commander of the Russian forces? This could be a part of the conversation when Zelenyuk reaches the base, or you could make a query so the player can decide himself/herself if he/she would like to know about these things.

Mission 2 - Science Time
The main base is called "N. N. Krestinsky Area Main Base" - perhaps it's just me, but it sounds weird with the "Area" thingy in the name. "N. N. Krestinsky Main Base" sounds better :)

I can see in the code (module "main") that Pyotr T. Koneev and Zelenyuk are supposed to look in the direction if each other when they speak in the beginning of the mission, but turning a human unit takes a small amount of time and function DialogueOn is used directly after function ComTurnUnit, so Koneev and Zelenyuk first look at each other when the dialogue is over.

I miss some kind of reason as to why Zelenyuk is chosen to be the new commander of N. N. Krestinsky 2, but perhaps your intented reason was that he successfully commanded N. N. Krestinsky 3 - then I would still like this to be expressed explicitely. Less relevant is who was the former commander of the base and what happened to him?

One of the scientists in N. N. Krestinsky 2 warns Zelenyuk of going near the siberite mine, but there are no consequences of doing so. I like the uncertainty (it's authentic - the Russians don't know much about siberite), but I miss some consequences or some sort. Perhaps they have to make some measurements near the mine or something before they can start using the siberite for research.

The total number of "crate resources" you need in this mission is about 120 and the mission lasts about 20 minutes - those numbers should be synchronised in some way. As it is now, at least 1000 "crate resources" spawn in this amount of time which is too many in my oppinion.

If some crates appear in the area of the main base, why doesn't the engineer go and pick them up?

It's very good that the lab in the main base starts researching something after some time - it makes the base "alive".

It's my impression that N. N. Krestinsky 2 and N. N. Krestinsky Main Base is relatively deep in the heart of Russian territory so it would be likely if a patrol would pass through the area now and then (following the road going north-south and perhaps stopping in the main base for a while before continuing).

Concerning the third medal I think I have an idea:
When the player has researched siberite power technology, Zelenyuk calls Koneev and tells him about the discovery. Koneev is so impressed and excited that he orders Zelenyuk to send the blueprints and the required siberite to N. N. Krestinsky Main Base so the engineers there can build and test the power plant. The player is the supposed to send an engineer with 10 "siberite resources" to the main base. The siberite must be dropped in a specified area where the engineers of the main base picks it up. The engineers then commence construction of the power plant.
When the player has researched all siberite technologies, he/she can choose to end the mission if the power plant hasn't been constructed in the main base yet. If the mission is ended, the medal is of course not given. The mission ends automatically when all siberite technologies have been researched and the power plant constructed.
----------------------------------------------------

As you can see, many of my suggestions are about small details, but for me such details are the heart of the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:53 pm 
Soldier level 4
Soldier level 4

...and so are they for me. That's why I wanted to post it here before the official release - to know someone else's point of view. Huge thanks for you, McBenn. I'll do my best to correct the things you pointed out.

According to the menu: well, I'm quite happy with that. I have problems with modding the "mods" and "player" windows to make them suit the general look, but I'll work it out. And the text in the campaign menu - yes, you're right, but I have no idea how to change it's colour (I know, DevMode, but it doesn't work for some reason).

And the maps look like they look just because I've never made a map I would be satisfied with, so I made it as minimal as possible - only neccessary things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:40 pm 

Gwrhkhsh Wrote:
And the maps look like they look just because I've never made a map I would be satisfied with, so I made it as minimal as possible - only neccessary things.

Well it works very well :D . A hill here and there would make it perfect, but it's good as it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:17 pm 
Soldier level 4
Soldier level 4

A hill here and there = more work with gbis.
Any work with gbis = me hates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:48 pm 

I understand completely - making such a GBI really can mess up your life :evil: I guess if you just knew a little about light angles and Photoshop/GIMP it would be alot easier...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:50 pm 
Soldier level 4
Soldier level 4

I do, I use Photoshop for such stuff but still it's a, pardon, shitload of work. To me totally unnecessary, but well, it's good to have a nice looking map.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:37 am 

Ask Maniek :P He would be pleased.

THE Very active person

"You can only do well at something if you put the time in. Doesn't matter what subject it is. You can't make a master piece over night."
Wise man Stu-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:40 am 
Soldier level 4
Soldier level 4

Excuse me, Maniek, if you read that, but...

Who is Maniek?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:46 pm 

Oh, well he is a Polish player who participates in mods and has been contributing with the GBI making, he uses photoshop. His jobs were really good compared to other work. I'm not sure if he is active at the moment, but he also helped me for some time.
This is his contact info: profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=518

Gothuk knows his Gadu-Gadu address. You can ask him more information about him if you like.

THE Very active person

"You can only do well at something if you put the time in. Doesn't matter what subject it is. You can't make a master piece over night."
Wise man Stu-

Post subject: Mod
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:54 pm 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

If it is still open, ill have a try of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:22 am 
Soldier level 4
Soldier level 4

It's open, as I didn't announce it closed and as the main release is delayed. I'd maybe post the link in public here:

Download pre-demo version!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:48 pm 

If you need a voice actor, count with me. :wink:

Tested your mod...

Hmm in the second mission there shouldn-t be too much crates spawning.. And so often... Its quite annoying.

THE Very active person

Wise man Stu-