Goto https://www.stucuk.netGoto https://www.atlanticaonlinewiki.comGoto https://www.game-requirements.comGoto https://www.owsupport.com
It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:28 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

Changelog:
  • Latest Multiplayer Maps (by Radzio)
    • General
      • Improved build-up's performance.
    • Bloody Valley & Bastard Pass fixes
      • Some strings were not being shown
      • Amount of ppl in BV's MDs
    • Flags updates
      • New build-up's areas and code
    • Highlands fixes
      • Moved infinite loop that blocked important code from being executed
      • prepare_people allows for an immediate placing in buildings now
        (fixes missing units because of inaccessible entrance hexes)
    • River Of Lost Souls fixes
      • Information about points not being shown
      • NE and SW bases have their areas fixed
      • Moreover, NE base has its area enlarged
      • 10 trees were removed from the map to not block predefined buildings
      • Random trees are no longer removed from the map
  • AM15: You no longer loose a medal when you finish behemots. (by Radzio)
  • OW No longer crashes when Direct X Applications go full screen.
  • Several "Preventive" Fixes*

OWPatch_1.11.1.rar ~59MB

Note: This version is not compatible with previous versions online.

* "Preventive" Fixes are when people give me an error report with an access violation and i modify OW so that it shouldn't in future crash at that point. This however doesn't mean my changes will stop it crashing as it may just crash at another point.

Radziu: All right, my changes appended.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:52 am 
Original-War.Net Owner
Original-War.Net Owner

Next time remove the old changelog from the installer ^^

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:12 am 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

Please fix following annoyances:

- Remember 'fullscreen/windowed' status, and keep it between runs.
- Allow setting 'fullscreen/windowed' in launcher.
- Make window in windowed mode a proper window that can be moved around and minimized.
- There is some funny conflict between OW and Firefox, which makes the game run at 7 FPS. Restarting firefox fixes the problem.
- Same thing happens when any kind of dialog (F10 menu, some other notification) is displayed, or in title menu.

I have Radeon HD4870 with current drivers, running at WinXP64.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:32 am 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

Ofca wrote:
- There is some funny conflict between OW and Firefox, which makes the game run at 7 FPS. Restarting firefox fixes the problem.

Talk to FireFox, i can not do anything about 3rd party applications screwing up OW.

Ofca wrote:
- Same thing happens when any kind of dialog (F10 menu, some other notification) is displayed, or in title menu.

You only get 7FPS in the main menu? Do you have DirectX 9 installed (Note that having DX10 and/or DX11 does not mean you have DX9 installed as well)?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:01 am 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

Firefox doesn't screw with every application on my system, and I doubt they've put in some code to screw only with OW ;) - therefore problem lies in OW, not in Firefox. Lets get real. My computer is running 24/7, I have a lot of on-screen real estate going (two monitors) and this is the first time I've seen such a conflict that would require me to turn off a browser that has multiple windows with gazillion of tabs open. Slowdown is quite similar to the dialog slowdown I mentioned - maybe same bug?

Of course I have DX9 installed, and I can't have DX10/DX11 installed (Win XP). I'm getting 120 FPS in campaign menu (where you are choosing missions and stuff), normal FPS according to current time speed while playing (on the other hand, funny way to solve the game speed problem :) ), but if any dialog is displayed, it drops dramatically. Just hitting F10 brings the game down to a crawl to the point that you need advanced prediction and targeting algorithms just to hit the 'save' button :>

While we are at it, there's some funny business with resolution change and Arabian Campaign by Polish Mod Team. After the introductory sequence, where Joan jumps into the Eon, and loading of the first mission, game crashes with 'Range check error'. If game is left in default 1024x768 and full screen, it doesn't happen. Campaign itself barely keeps any touch with English as language, but I suppose one can assume that Arabians don't know proper English hehe ;) - my idea here is that map is too small to fit the game screen at 1680x1050, but that's just a theory.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:31 am 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

As a side note, I've seen the DX9 question asked by you a lot of times. Maybe it would be productive to code in the check for DX version and suggest installation/upgrade if it detects old version/no version?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:29 am 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

Ofca wrote:
Firefox doesn't screw with every application on my system, and I doubt they've put in some code to screw only with OW ;) - therefore problem lies in OW, not in Firefox. Lets get real. My computer is running 24/7, I have a lot of on-screen real estate going (two monitors) and this is the first time I've seen such a conflict that would require me to turn off a browser that has multiple windows with gazillion of tabs open.

I could say the exact same, i have never heard of a browser or any application which causes OW to go slowly and iv been maintinaining since 2005 (So kinda a long test period). The facts are simple, Firefox causes OW to slow down not the other way around. So its not something i can fix because its a problem caused by something Firefox is doing.

Ofca wrote:
Slowdown is quite similar to the dialog slowdown I mentioned - maybe same bug?

Given that noone else has that problem (Including me) i would guess its related to Graphics Drivers or Direct X. Original War uses Direct X 2, though works fine on Direct X 9. Its not something i can debug as there is not enough information to go on.

Ofca wrote:
As a side note, I've seen the DX9 question asked by you a lot of times. Maybe it would be productive to code in the check for DX version and suggest installation/upgrade if it detects old version/no version?

It wouldn't help. Even if someone has DirectX 9 they may need to re-install it. There have been people who have had problems and re-installing DirectX 9 helped even though they already had DX9 installed. Same can sometimes be true of Graphics Card Drivers.

The reason i go on about DX9 alot is because i know Original War works with it. I also know that if you have Vista and don't install DirectX 9 that some games can screw up when they are forced to be ran through DX10/DX11.

Ofca wrote:
Of course I have DX9 installed, and I can't have DX10/DX11 installed (Win XP).

Meh, thought you said Vista 64bit. Though it doesn't mean you have to have DX9, technically could have had DX8.

Ofca wrote:
While we are at it, there's some funny business with resolution change and Arabian Campaign by Polish Mod Team. After the introductory sequence, where Joan jumps into the Eon, and loading of the first mission, game crashes with 'Range check error'. If game is left in default 1024x768 and full screen, it doesn't happen. Campaign itself barely keeps any touch with English as language, but I suppose one can assume that Arabians don't know proper English hehe ;) - my idea here is that map is too small to fit the game screen at 1680x1050, but that's just a theory.

Which Arabian Campaign are you talking about (There are more than one)?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:49 am 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

Arabian Campaign - Version 3.5 by Polish Mod Team or something.

As to the slow-down bug, if it happens only to me, then I suppose it can be ignored - I manage to work around it ;) - however, windowed mode in it's current state is pretty annoying, so when you have a moment, please do something about it :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:58 am 
Original-War.Net Owner
Original-War.Net Owner

We've got some crazy translators to do the job. It's kind of English with Polish grammar and improperly chosen words.
Range check errors are caused by OW's engine. Pitiful, old DirectDraw 2 (LOL!) - great that it works at all.

About 7FPS bug:
I think your bug might be related to WinXP being 64 bit. I've never heard a good word about this (experimental) build Microsoft has issued. Seems like most of the people had some odd bugs with applications. Looks like 64 bit Vista handled them better.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:38 am 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

Well, I'm using this experimental build for 4 years now and only trouble I had so far were drivers that didn't exist at the beginning. At least it supports 12 gigs of RAM ;)

That being said, I doubt that it's related to anything other than running at non-standard resolution. But again, if it's running fine everywhere else, then it's safe to ignore it. Besides, only this one mission had this problem ;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:46 am 
Original-War.Net Owner
Original-War.Net Owner

Sorry, I meant the Firefox bug.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:51 am 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

Yeah, I noticed that now. ;) - but same thing applies; XP64 isn't very popular. :>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:37 am 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

Ofca wrote:
As to the slow-down bug, if it happens only to me, then I suppose it can be ignored - I manage to work around it ;) - however, windowed mode in it's current state is pretty annoying, so when you have a moment, please do something about it :)

I don't want to ignore it, its just that i can only fix bugs i can test or which i have a very good idea as to what the cause is. Your bug is one of them bugs where i can't reproduce it and there isn't enough information to narrow down the cause.

You can fake fullscreen by running OW at your monitors resolution while in windowed mode using a shortcut. Note that the Menu's will be in 800x600(Its due to Original War not having the ability to scale its menus).

I.E
"C:\Program Files\Original War\OwarFull.EXE" window customres 1680 1050

Fullscreen and Windowed mode are done differently. Fullscreen uses Flips and Windowed uses Blt's. There is some redundant Altar code which makes OW use Blt's for fullscreen instead of flips. My Direct X knowledge (Programming wise) is practically non existent(As i use OpenGL, which is better) so i have no clue as to the difference. I have modified OW so that you can make it use Blt's instead of Flips. You need to give it the parameter "ForceNoFlip" via a shortcut or the command line. Note that i have absolutely no idea if it will actually make any difference, or if it will introduce more rendering bugs.

P.S I am not 100% Sure it is DirectX 2. In the DDraw.pas the Surfaces are called TDDSurfaceDesc_DX6 with IDirectDraw2. With IDirectDraw4 they are called TDDSurfaceDesc2..... Another reason why i don't use Direct X. Stupidly complex.

EDIT: See Post Below for Download.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:09 am 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

Fixed the range check error. It was due to OW trying to draw outside of the map.

Attachments:
OwarFull.rar [957.77 KiB]
Downloaded 148 times

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:06 pm 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

I can confirm that range check error is indeed gone.
I can also confirm that adding ForceNoFlip does no visible change either way. Doesn't fix anything, nor does it break anything ;)

Any ideas how I can help you debug the slowdowns?