Goto https://www.stucuk.netGoto https://www.atlanticaonlinewiki.comGoto https://www.game-requirements.com

Menu

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: OWOGL
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:07 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

Spot the Difference.

Still lots of work to do

Attachments:
SpotTheDifference.png
SpotTheDifference.png [ 721.25 KiB | Viewed 2091 times ]

Post subject: Re: OWOGL
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:57 pm 

Ok so some transparence here, missing dialogue box there, missing resource bar. What's the prize for finding them all :P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:45 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

You get a warm fuzzy feeling inside. You missed 1 btw.

First ever OW Screenshots on Steam:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/235320/screenshots/

(Since overlay only works with OpenGL :P)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:39 pm 

Ah unit health bar :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:29 am 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

unit health, speech, birds, basically any animated effect thats shoved on top isn't done, im guessing its a separate layer thats overlayed on top(But i havn't looked to find out yet). But you missed out the minimap's white rectangle.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:55 pm 

Darn, that also. Should have cleaned by glasses better :P

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:11 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

If anyone wants to try the OWOGL version they can (Place files on top of 1.12.10.13 or higher, they don't overwrite anything, it just needs the steam API dlls which only the recent versions have). One thing to note is that its still using Direct Draw, the Direct Draw window in this build is just hidden, but its still rendering to both a Direct Draw window and an OpenGL window. Its currently missing Intro Videos, Credits Screen, Player Face in the multiplayer GUI's (The main lobby bit and where you choose how your face looks), In-Game Help. Fullscreen is disabled (Its technically possible but not recommended as it won't effect the OpenGL window). Its using an older version of Original War than the main stable branch and as a result any bugs fixed after January 2014 are not likely to be in the OWOGL version. You will need to manually run the OWOGL version as the launcher won't. Oh and it only has the first steam achievement programmed into it.

Note that it will require a minimum of OpenGL 2.1 hardware (So may not work on crappy intel cards). I have only tested it on my main computer (16GB, AMD 4Ghz 8 Cores, Geforce GTX 660) so i have no clue how it runs on older hardware (Haven't got round to testing it on my old 2004 computer: 512MB, AMD 2.0Ghz single core, Geforce FX 5900).

P.S Don't report bugs on the Bug Tracker. This is an experimental unfinished build. Feel free to post bugs in this thread however.

Attachments:
2014-09-18.rar [1013.59 KiB]
Downloaded 95 times

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:02 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

Forgot to put the OGV dll's in the previous download. Also has some minor changes to the code (windowfull won't switch the colours to 16bit). For fullscreen run the OGL version with windowfull

Attachments:
2014-09-18_b.rar [1.09 MiB]
Downloaded 94 times

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:29 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

Latest Build:
- http://www.owsupport.com/files/OWOGL_2014-11-28.rar

I have integrated some of the changes and bug fixes from the current branch (The latest version of the Direct Draw branch). The main highlights are that all steam achievements are supported and that it now supports the language packs. It also seperates the frame rate from the game speed. So when you decrease the game speed, the frame rate will no longer drop (And visa versa when you increase).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:02 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

First stage of Outlines on fonts:

Its not perfect as i never added padding, so its missing out the left side. I am using the method discribed in a Valve PDF. The basic concept is
that you add the outline to the font, but set the alpha between 0 and 0.5 . Then in the shader you can either change the outline part so its
visible or hidden (OW only ever has a black outline, so it doesn't need the ability to change the outlines colour).

Shader:
Code:
uniform sampler2D tex;
uniform int outline;
uniform vec3 col;

void main()
{
    vec4 color = texture2D(tex,gl_TexCoord[0].st);

if ((outline == 1) && (color.a > 0.1) && (color.a <= 0.5))
    {
     color = vec4(0,0,0,1);
    }
    else
    {
     color.a = color.a > 0.5;
    }

gl_FragColor = color*vec4(col,1.0);
}

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:48 pm 

I'm completely lost in this field but it looks fine :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:50 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

if you zoom in on the text with the outline you will notice that the full stops have nothing
around them and the letters don't have any black on there left side.

Basically its not adding any outline because its right at the character's edge, with some padding
added (Aka a gap) to the texture it will always be able to add the outline.

P.S I also added the underline and strike-though effects. Though i don't know if OW actually tries to underline any text.

This now means the OGL version now has 2 shaders. The first shader is for turning blue bits into transparent areas as
OW's textures don't have any transparency, they just use a blue colour for what should be fully transparent (Which
OpenGL doesn't support, so you need to use a shader to force transparency when the colour is blue). Shaders btw are
where you can program the graphics card to give you full control over how every pixel that is rendered is rendered.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:44 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

McBenn wrote:
I'm completely lost in this field but it looks fine :)

On page 2 of the PDF the image at the top right shows a distance field applied to there image. Original War doesn't use a distance field,
it just uses a simpler method but its the same idea. Original War just applies an outline to the font in a very primitive way
and sets its Alpha to a bit below 0.5 (Alpha is how solid an image is, as in the opposite of transparent. So a value of 0 is fully
transparent). Basically if there is a pixel thats pure white and solid next(UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT) to a black pixel thats transparent
it changes the black pixels alpha to ~0.5 (These pixels are the outline).

4.2.2 on page 4 basically describes the idea. The Pixel Shader (Called Fragment Shader by OpenGL) will when you specify that you want
an outline, change any pixel which has an alpha above 0 and below or equal to 0.5 so that its solid. If an outline is not wanted, it will change
the alpha to 0 for any pixel whos alpha is below or equal 0.5 (Which is the pixels for the outline).

So in simple terms, the shader either shows or hides the outline thats in the fonts image. You can ignore 99% of whats in the PDF as it doesn't
apply to outlines.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Status:

Iv managed to make the outlines look identical to the Direct Draw version. It modifies the font with two passes (It only does it when the font
is loaded and never touches it again while the game is running). The image below shows the difference between having only a single pass and
using two passes.

First pass(Bottom image) just adds an outline if there is a white bit of font to the TOP/BOTTOM/LEFT/RIGHT. The second pass(Top Image) adds
outline to the corners of the existing outline.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

This completes the font system. I have also managed to build a version of OW which doesn't use Direct Draw. Previous OGL Versions of OW still
relied partly on the Direct Draw side for certain gui elements as well as some texture loading (As textures were placed in Direct Draw first).

Its still a Work in Progress as some areas still need to be converted to use OpenGL like the Victory Graph on the victory screen and the mouse will
never change when its moved over characters/etc. But it no longer creates a Direct Draw window meaning there is no chance of any
"Can't Create Surface" type of errors that has plagued OW for years.

If anyone wants to try the current OGL Build its attached to this post. But as i have removed Direct Draw there could still be code which relies on
it which may either crash the game or display corrupt images. The main game should be fine but areas which i haven't done alot of testing may
not work right.

Attachments:
OWOGL_2014-12-03.rar [1006.94 KiB]
Downloaded 68 times