Goto https://www.stucuk.netGoto https://www.atlanticaonlinewiki.comGoto https://www.game-requirements.com

Menu

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Original War Editor Ideas
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:51 am 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

I am looking for ideas on how to improve the editor. Ways to simplify map creation for example. One idea that i plan on implementing is to make it so the editor can setup a basic multiplayer map (Complete with sail code).

Extracting files from the OWP's when creating a new mod is currently implemented in the latest unreleased build.

Post subject: Re: Original War Editor Ideas
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:01 pm 

Quote:
One idea that i plan on implementing is to make it so the editor can setup a basic multiplayer map (Complete with sail code).

That would be pretty sweet :)

Would also be nice to be able to use the mouse wheel to scroll in the SAIL editor instead of having to pull the slider every time.

And I know this has been mentioned before but is it completely impossible to get SAIL error messages telling you where in the un-compiled code the error occured (thinking especially reading out of bounds errors)? Just an estimate would also be ok. That's what I do manually. If you know how many lines of compiled and un-compiled code there is you can easily calculate roughly how many lines of compiled code goes per line of un-compiled code. From the error message (giving the line in the compiled code) you can then estimate where in the un-compiled code things went wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:19 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

Scroll Wheel was easy. But what's the actual error message the game gives? Need to know it so i can trace it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:23 pm 

For reading beyond end of list it would be:

Runtime error at {line number}: reading beyond end of list: {index} of {list}, result set to 0, ignore further errors?!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:39 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

McBenn wrote:
For reading beyond end of list it would be:

Runtime error at {line number}: reading beyond end of list: {index} of {list}, result set to 0, ignore further errors?!

But it has the compiled line number... You can look it up on the Debug Window's code bit. It shows the compiled code as well as the un-compiled (Commented out above the relevant compiled code) allowing you to see what line is causing the problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:19 am 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

New Build:
-OWOGL_2015-01-01.rar

I looked into it and output.txt was never generated, so only altars maps would have it for the debug window to load. Also the debug window would not load the output.txt if it had too many lines in it.

I have modified the editor to create output.txt_lines.txt (I was too lazy to remove the .txt ext) which maps the un-compiled lines to the compiled lines.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:17 pm 

Awesome :D :D Out of curiosity: What's the difference between ow_editorDD.exe and ow_editorOGL.exe?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:55 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

McBenn wrote:
Awesome :D :D Out of curiosity: What's the difference between ow_editorDD.exe and ow_editorOGL.exe?

DD stands for Direct Draw, OGL stands for OpenGL. Just the Graphics Library used for rendering. DD will force your monitor colours to 16 bit, OGL won't (OGL doesn't care what the colours are set to). DD is what the game has used since the beginning of time and which Windows 8 doesn't like (Though windowed like the editor seems to work fine).

I would recommend OGL over DD. OGL with the editor is only missing the in-game help bit which is not rendered right and the fact you can use it in 32bit is great.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:48 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

Managed to get the Breakpoints working. They were being cleared every time the map was compiled/ran and altar's maps never re-compiled to generate the information needed to apply the breakpoints (Due to crc.bin existing).

Breakpoints allow you to see the values of variables in the Debug window but what they are at a certain point in the code (You don't need breakpoints to see there values, it just lets you know what they are at a certain point). I am thinking about mirroring some of the Information in the SAIL Editor window so you can easily see the values of variables while the game is running.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:40 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

Work in progress, still need to make it display the global variables. Its all thanks to the SAIL Editor having the ability to return the word thats under the mouse (Which can then be looked up to find the variable's value). I'm not sure if SAIL is case sensitive but the hints are done all in lowercase.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:21 pm 

Omg this is like going to make it a 1000 times easier to debug SAIL :mrgreen: No more display_strings or debug_strings :D You are really on a coding spree atm stu :P

Btw SAIL is not case sensitive.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:21 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

McBenn wrote:
Omg this is like going to make it a 1000 times easier to debug SAIL :mrgreen: No more display_strings or debug_strings :D

It won't display variables declared inside functions as there is no way that i can currently see to work out which function your currently in. But i will create a bit that lists the variables of each function in the module your currently viewing so you can see what they are set too.

Currently iv managed to get it to display EXPORT variables, module variables (which are ones not marked as export and which are not inside a function), SAIL Variables (As in ones like uc_nation) and SAIL Constants (class_soldier, etc).

McBenn wrote:
You are really on a coding spree atm stu :P

Well so far these are the easy things to implement, simply because most of the functionality was already coded in.

With the breakpoints they technically would have always worked, if you actually set them while the mission was running and if the mission had compiled while the editor was running. One thing to remember with them, when you want to resume you need to just hit CTRL + E, not the Run/Trace/Etc. I don't actually know what Trace is meant to do.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:32 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

New Build:
- OWOGL_2015-01-03.rar

This version includes:
  • Ability to create "Includes" from the add include bit in the SAIL Editor
  • Ability to hover over most variables/constants in the SAIL Editor to get there value
  • Ability to use Breakpoints
  • Re-Organised Menus (Restart is now Reset Map, Goto Game Mode moved to File Menu, etc)
  • Zoom Out ability (WIP, you can place units/trees/grass/etc while zoomed out, but the information overlay won't display correctly)

I hit a snag with function variables. I don't know how to get there values. I can get there names, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere that holds there values which can then be linked back to there name(So you know what value goes with what variable).

So you would have to create a variable in the module's scope (As in outside of a function) and set it to the variable you want to check from a function.

I.E
Code:
var Check;
function Bla();
var avalue;
begin
 avalue := 1;
 Check := avalue; // Hover over check during a breakpoint.
end;

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:20 pm 

Nizzle :P
Zoom works but as you say not everything is displayed correctly. Still useful imo.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:18 am 

Another thing but it's not the editor as such (I presume it's the compiler). You can comment out multiple lines by using curly brackets { } but you can nest these. If you have something like

Code:
{
aa = 1;
{
bb = 1;
}
cc = 1;
}

Only the code from the first { to the first } is commented out leaving uncompilable code behind. I guess what's happening is that the second { is also commented out.