It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Materialization prediction and multiplayer protocol
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:20 pm 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

First of all I would like to thank you Stucuk for your great job in keeping OW stable and up to date 8)

The next important case is some kind of problem in multiplayer. When I play the Russians I can't use materialization prediction - I mean, there is no "purple range" on the map and I cant see the shipments. What is strange, my friend who's playing with me on LAN hasn't got this issue.

Secondly, we can't connect by LAN using 1.12.10.12/13 patch. I've read in the changelog that multiplayer protocol has changed. Currently we're using 1.12.10.1 and everything works fine except my materialization prediction and "Synchronization lost" error but very rarely.

Is that possible that these problems are somehow connected with my system? I'm using Windows 8.1 Update 1 on C2D T6400 with GF9600GT. My friend has Windows 7 on i7 and 660M GT. I'm using "customres 1366 768 window skip" parameter also. Windows firewall is set off. Ports are open. What is wrong?

I'll be very grateful for any help and support. Thanks in advance.

Attachments:
File comment: Missing option
Purple range.jpg
Purple range.jpg [ 5.58 KiB | Viewed 1363 times ]

Post subject: Re: Materialization prediction and multiplayer protocol
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:53 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

Issue 52 may cause problems for multiplayer games(1.12.10.14 should solve the issue). The protocol version change just means that only versions with the same protocol version can connect to each other. So 1.12.10.12 can not connect to lower versions.

Windows 8 does not support Direct Draw (Which Original War uses for Graphics), so it can either just fail, render slow, have graphical issues or work fine. I have Windows 7, so i can not debug any graphical issues Windows 8 has.

Sync Lost is caused when there is differences between the instances of 2 or more players in a game. It is generally caused by lag and packet loss. Original War was never programmed with any way of recovering when a game looses synchronisation.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:43 pm 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

Ok, so for that missing technology I must back to Windows 7. Synchronization problem isn't so annoying and maybe it will disappear on 7 too. I see in the Issue 52 description that this problem is related with Steam achievements but we aren't using this platform. Is it possible that it's affecting also non-Steam version?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:42 am 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

If 1.12.10.14 doesn't solve you ability to do games with your friend please tell me which of the versions listed in This Post work for you. It will help to narrow down what changes could cause the issue.

pavlov wrote:
Is it possible that it's affecting also non-Steam version?

If you do not have steam running at the time you run Original War it won't. If you do have steam running it will(You don't need to own a steam copy).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:30 pm 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

I can't see our patch on your list. We're using this one (1.12.10.1 RC1):

http://original-war.net/files.php?id=139&lang=pl

Older patches works too and we have this problem since 1.12.10.12/13. What is interesting, since 1.12.10.1 RC1 we can't connect by choosing new server from the list as in the previous versions (the list is empty). We must enter IP adress manually and then everything works fine.

I'll be waiting for the next relase of your patch and I'll let you know what happens after installation.

One more time - thank you Stucuk.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:50 am 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

pavlov wrote:
I can't see our patch on your list.

They are work in progress builds that sit between 1.12.10.1 and 1.12.10.12 . Without knowing which ones have caused your problem i can't narrow it down. You stated that you can't connect to each other when you had 1.12.10.12 but 1.12.10.1 works fine.