TNM has been released. Its a mod which has been in development for 7 years. Its a compleate total convertion which features voice overs for every line of dialog that the npc's say. See http://www.thenamelessmod.com
for media + downloads.
n Forum City, the Internet is serious business. As its name implies, the city is the physical embodiment of Internet forums and bulletin boards. It's more like The Matrix or Tron than Second Life, however, as the troubles of the city are no laughing matter. Embracing the style of Deus Ex, Forum City has as much crime and conspiracy as the world of JC Denton — but most citizens would have it no other way.
he lust for power seems to come easily to those who call the city their home; everywhere there are factions scheming to increase their reach, or even wrest control of the city itself. Were it not for a peacekeeping triumvirate of invulnerable Moderators the city would quickly plunge into chaos.
his has been the way of things for as long as most care to remember.
ut now, the balance of power has been upset. Unthinkably, a Moderator has disappeared, and panic is gripping the city. With the remaining Moderators spread far too thin, the lawless have found themselves with the freedom to prey upon others, and formerly suppressed rivalries threaten to explode into open conflict.
ou are called upon to silence the discord.
hroughout the course of the game, you take on the avatar of Trestkon, a former intelligence agent whose reasons for leaving the city are mysterious, at best. Negotiating for his return was an act of desperation, but having known him personally, the remaining Moderators trust that he can find their missing colleague before it is too late.
wo years can change a man, however, and Trestkon's loyalty is not set in stone. Now imbued with legal authority, he could tip the balance of power in virtually anyone's favour, and the multitude of factions are well aware. Corrupt corporations, religious fanatics, cyber-terrorists, and even deadly computer programs will stop at nothing to gain Trestkon's allegiance.
Your task is simple:
Save the world.
The rest is up to you.
* Discover a unique and intriguing setting based on an actual Internet forum and its inhabitants throughout the years
* Play through 59 levels of engaging gameplay, plus a new tutorial, and even secret bonus maps just waiting for you to find them
* Use 20 original new weapons, including unique weapons which may only be acquired after you've successfully completed The Nameless Mod once
* Dive into a deep world with its own lore: Hundreds of e-mails, books, newspapers, notepads, and datacubes containing custom text
* Customize yourself: Choose between two different Trestkon models with 5 different faces for each, and even eye-wear
* Choose your own path with two parallel story arcs and tons of side-missions
* Enjoy nearly limitless freedom as the world reacts to your every choice, and observe the far-reaching consequences of your actions in a detailed epilogue
* Bring the story to one of 5 thrilling conclusions, each with their own detailed cinematic
* Immerse yourself in a work of fiction with over 200,000 words of dialogue, monologue, and other character utterances
* Hear voice actors speak more than 13,000 high-quality lines in 14 hours of audio that puts other games to shame
* Enjoy almost 100 brand-new tracks of high-quality music, with at least one unique song for every level
* Search for a myriad of secrets, Easter eggs, and amusing details that will have you ready to play TNM again as soon as you've finished
* Tailor the experience to your liking with detailed difficulty settings, including customizable enemy and item counts
* And much, much
To the casual observer, The Nameless Mod may appear to be a self-indulgent piece of fan fiction about inside jokes on a forum. Well, you got us, that's how it started. It didn't take long to realize that the target audience for something of that nature would be incredibly small, and would grow smaller as development went on.
Thus, The Nameless Mod has outgrown its roots as a silly in-joke to a complete game with a complex story and memorable characters.
In general, the setting remains the same — a virtual world representing an Internet community — but it's a setting that's approachable for anyone who has spent time with a computer. If that's not you, congratulations on finding the power button, you're on the road to success!
Of course, TNM is not devoid of humour; everyone can enjoy the subtle (and not so subtle) references to online culture and pop culture, and if you've got a brain, even better!
The point is, The Nameless Mod has something for just about anyone, and if you don't believe that a mod that started out as self-referential fan fiction can achieve that, give it a spin, it's free!