Goto https://www.stucuk.netGoto https://www.atlanticaonlinewiki.comGoto https://www.game-requirements.com

Menu

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Original War 2?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:25 am 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

gwren1 wrote:
I know that. But I mean, the game maker decides in whose hands is he going to place the advertisment to. :wink:

Wrong again. Developers can't pick and choose there publisher. Its the other way around. Developers desperatly need a publisher to fund the project. So they have to take who they can get, or they could all end up jobless. Virgin Interactive was a Large company (Or at least part of one, Virgin the parent company is still large), so it wasn't like they had a publisher that didn't have any money. Virgin was however dieing at the time OW was launched, which is why the Arabian Expansion was scrapped and OW was rushed out. Altar needed to get OW finished before Virgin died or OW would never be released.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:14 pm 

stucuk wrote:
Altar needed to get OW finished before Virgin died or OW would never be released.

So that explains the things... I see... So I'm wrong and you are right. Alright. It's fair.

THE Very active person

"You can only do well at something if you put the time in. Doesn't matter what subject it is. You can't make a master piece over night."
Wise man Stu-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:07 pm 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

stucuk wrote:
Developers desperatly need a publisher to fund the project

But if there are 2 or more publishers who want to fund the project, don't they choose richest or most known?
Or they just take funds from all of them?

PS. Really I don't know much about business, because I'm only 13 - so I can be wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:01 am 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

Well they try and get the best publishers interested, but alot of the time the smaller companies (Like Altar) can't get someone like say EA interested because they have no way to get there foot in the door. Most of the time you are proberly not going to have more than one publisher interested.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:21 am 
Soldier level 2
Soldier level 2

stu - I think if you're good at speaking, confident and know how to make people interested, it doesn't really matter who you are or what company you represent and I believe that Altar could find a much better publisher if they had someone who could introduce the game more interesting to a publisher (i.e. EA Games). Take Bill Gates and the Microsoft as an example. They did one of the best deals in the history - Microsoft (a small, unknown company) sold something that they did not even made (the very first MS-DOS) to the huge company - IBM.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:42 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

The difference, is that in Bill's days there wasn't alot of software companies. So it was far easier. Each year there is more and more people making games. There is far more competition. That is the problem. Because there is so many developers, it doesn't matter how good a speaker you are, its all about who you know.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:58 pm 
Soldier level 2
Soldier level 2

Stucuk, I partially agree with you but you gotta agree that for shy and self-closed people making friends and "connections" is far more harder than for confident ones. So, in conclusion, if you wanna be in the business you gotta be a good speaker anyway.

Also, if you're doing good and innovative stuff, it doesn't really matter who you knows. As far as your stuff is the best on market, you'll get the money and "connections" automatically - but the thing is, in case of games you gotta find a publisher - to do that, you gotta persuade him that your stuff is actually the best, and that's not easy and I think, that's why Altar had the problem finding a better publisher. They just needed someone who will make all the publishers willing to publish the game.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:31 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

Publishers invest in things that they know will make them money. So they try and invest in games which are simmiler to current games (Thus they can work out a rough profit margin). When your a small development studio (Like Altar), you can't make a common clone, because there is already loads of them about(Meaning publishers will choose the people they know over a random small studio). So you have to make something unique which the Publishers can't have a nice spread sheet about. Making a unique game is the only way for a small studio to get a publisher interested, but at the same time its also a risky strategy as the publisher has to gamble more.

So in short, it matters who you know. If you know the publishers well, they are more likley to gamble on you.

P.S Virgin Interactive wasn't a small company. Virgin Interactive was only at the dieing stage around the time that the game was released, it was perfectly fine during the main development milestones and when Altar signed a contract with them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:33 pm 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

to ph3nom: Imagine these days, when Altar was searching for the publisher to fund their project, Virgin was pretty good choice. Look at the incomplete list of games and you will understand: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_Interactive. BTW: It is pretty hard to find a publisher - the same situation is in music industry - many talented bands just can't get it to the top of their talent just because big publishers which own most of market don't want to "break" a market with supporting many bands. If you study sociology or social-economy, (or just psychology) you may know about this effect. Publishers have their own mind, and they don't want to give their money to doubtful developers with bad ideas. In this relationship, the publishers are those who have money, and developers are trying to attract them.
Think about it: How many strategic games do you know? Maybe 5-20. And how much of them are released by mainstream publisher? 4-19. Probably there is much more than 500 strategic games on the whole world, but you know only those published by big companies. It is just because of the behavior of publishers.
And second point: To make a big software product you need at least group of 15-40 people, at the beginning you need to have a great idea, analyze it, create a design which will take at such a difficult project as OW was at least 1/2 -1,5 year. Then you need to start with programming, creating all the necessary stuff, demos or so, and at this point if you can't find a publisher you are totally lost with a debts... As you can see the work of game-builders isn't easy at all.

(Sorry for my bad English)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:42 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

Timeshifter wrote:
(Sorry for my bad English)

Your english is better than what alot of English people write. So i don't think you need that message.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:32 pm 
Soldier level 1
Soldier level 1

I´m Happy That My Question Sorted a Theme To Talk About It!

How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.
[b]Adolf Hitler[/b]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:27 pm 
Soldier level 4
Soldier level 4

Actually this was posted before you posted your question. :P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:54 pm 
Soldier level 1
Soldier level 1

Just for the record, bill gates stole steve jobs code, and make a company. microsoft only have success because its more easy to use than Mac...

by the way i know a lot of game that werent publish by the big companies...

How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.
[b]Adolf Hitler[/b]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:12 am 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

On the VIP site stand http://www.vipclan.oz.pl/, that EA Games Electronic Arts, works on OW2, but the message is 2 yeah old, are they work today on it?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:00 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

There has never been any official news about any Original War 2 Development. EA are proberly the last company on Earth that would try and do Original War 2 due to the fact they don't generally make sequels to games which weren't a hit.