Goto https://www.stucuk.netGoto https://www.atlanticaonlinewiki.comGoto https://www.game-requirements.com

Menu

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Single-Player mode?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:24 pm 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

There's only so many times one can play the American, Russian and Arabian Nights mod through and through.

Is there any way to play a standard Skirmish-type single player map? If so, how? If not, why not?

With multiplayer games becoming increasingly scarce, would there be any way to implement such a feature? If not for re-playability but to add to the general feature and plumpy-ness of the game?

Thoughts/Solutions?

Post subject: Re: Single-Player mode?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:56 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

No one so far has created one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:06 am 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

How feasible would it be to create such a thing?

(Considering that it'll probably need custom AI and other technical nickity nit-picky hardwiring)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:29 pm 

I've already spent 15 months creating a custom AI but in the end it wasn't very challenging. Should be possible to upgrade it without needing to spend that kind of time, though, since all the basic stuff is in place (constructing a base from scratch, gathering crates, defending, basic attacking etc.). So yeah it's feasible but it's gonna take a lot of work.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:06 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

Did you use the stuff Altar were using with there uncompleted attempt at a skirmish? Its probably the best way to go.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:40 pm 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

Well I'm not one to take without giving back.

If we have a basic AI and some unfinished Altar content, how would one go about putting it all together? I'm very keen on trying to get this to catch on.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:36 pm 

@stu
Nope. At that time I wanted complete control of what was going on so I didn't want to use macros (and probably I thought it was more exciting to make it from scratch rather than spending weeks figuring out how each macro works). Today I'm not sure if that was a good decision especially because my custom AI spans a whopping 24,000 lines of code which takes quite some time to compile. This was actually one of the reasons Radzio rejected it.

@CSTaylor
I don't think mixing macros with my custom build is gonna be easy, but then again I have almost no knowledge of macros. I put down the work on the AI because Radzio rather wanted to use macros (which yields much less code = less compile time), and now I'm working on the Arabian campaign. But some day it would be nice to finish the AI project. I don't know how much you know of SAIL but I'll invite you to a developer group stu made for me way back then so you can look at the files (it's the forum "McBenn's Secret Workshop", what a name :lol:).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:03 am 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

That would be brilliant!

Although I'm totally useless with SAIL (Don't even know what it stands for!) I suppose there's no time like the present to learn, got to do something with my spare time anyway!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:07 pm 

That's some spirit you've got there :P I can (ofc) recommend my own tutorial on SAIL http://forum.stucuk.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1650 and the tutorials section of the wiki http://wiki.owsupport.com/index.php?title=Tutorials.