It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Steam Achievements
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:20 pm 

But since you can't kill Platonov the achievement doesn't make that much sense. We could ofc change it to "- Rebel; attack Platonov". Is it really all right to have achievements that make the player lose?

Hehe nice lose text :P I guess showing unknown areas of the game the player else wouldn't seen is what achievements is all about.
For Sevi Gorky to appear in am15 you have to leave the woman in distress in am14. What about "- Cynical; In Am14 leave Delta Base to its own device". Of course this doesn't guarantee the player goes on to am15 from this mission (could just make another mission branch).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:50 pm 

While implementing the achievements I found something odd on Ru08. If you let the mercenaries build the mortar barracks but refuse to hand over Heike they will attack you with regular intervals. But when the attacks cease Kurt and the other guy will still be waiting at the big rock to the west. If you attack them you trigger a new stream of attacks. [In the code the same function "merc_attack" is called both after a timeout after the barracks is completed and if you attack Kurt/the other guy]. Do you think this is intended?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:47 pm 
Soldier level 2
Soldier level 2

McBenn wrote:
Is it really all right to have achievements that make the player lose?

Pattern from: http://www.xboxachievements.com/game/me ... -Over.html "Problem Solved, Series Over"
It could reward player's strange, unconventional behavior.
McBenn wrote:
Do you think this is intended?

I don't have any idea. I think they should disappear from the map (can't remember if I ever saw staying them there) and trying to force you to release Heike (2-3 attacks). OW is full of surprises :P

Btw. Do you know, that you could have Heike in your team in Ru11? Accept her offer in Ru10 and she's gonna to be available on the character select screen (this may be a bug).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:07 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

Unless you ask the altar staff member that made the levels you won't know what is intentional. But if there is code designed to fire in certain events/etc then its most likely intended.

Personally i don't think the player should be rewarded for ways to screw up a mission(Not stepping into the eon being the exception).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:00 pm 

stucuk wrote:
Personally i don't think the player should be rewarded for ways to screw up a mission

I'm not very fond of the idea either.

stucuk wrote:
Unless you ask the altar staff member that made the levels you won't know what is intentional.

I'll just leave it be.

antitheus wrote:
Btw. Do you know, that you could have Heike in your team in Ru11? Accept her offer in Ru10 and she's gonna to be available on the character select screen (this may be a bug).

That I am certain is a bug. Actually you could let her die in Ru10 and she would still appear in Ru15. All fixed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:12 pm 
Soldier level 2
Soldier level 2

This may be useful for creating steam achievements' miniatures (by YuriS.)
Vector format.
http://original-war.net/files.php?id=141

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:27 am 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

Attached is the achievement icons i have made using OW's artwork. Iv updated the bug tracker page for the achievements to have an I for the ones that an icon has been made for. the ** means that McBenn has implemented the achievement in the maps(Well the version in his repository).

Not happy about the Russian one (Logo), but the others are fine imo. Feedback welcome.

Attachments:
ACH_ICONS_2014-05-05.png
ACH_ICONS_2014-05-05.png [ 244.87 KiB | Viewed 2507 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:28 pm 

Good work, Stu!

THE Very active person

"You can only do well at something if you put the time in. Doesn't matter what subject it is. You can't make a master piece over night."
Wise man Stu-

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:39 am 

One new achievement has been added. I'll mark new ones I have implementet with just one *. You can put the second * on when you have done your part, Stu.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:32 pm 
OW Support Owner
OW Support Owner

McBenn wrote:
One new achievement has been added. I'll mark new ones I have implementet with just one *. You can put the second * on when you have done your part, Stu.

Good idea. Currently waiting on Bohemia. Sent an e-mail on the 6th asking for the ones with ** to be added to steams achievement list.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:37 pm 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

I remember there's already a achievement system in the game, maybe incorporate that in a way to the achievements in general? perfecting (No loads, which I remember the game recognising) missions on various difficulties could give you varying achievements, of course you'd have to spread them out to prevent spoilers of a sort, and give them vagueish but informative names. Maybe include side-achievements/objectives of a sort, or even making very hard achievements like going through some missions without killing anyone, theres sleeping darts and a targetting system that would support that, maybe the pacifist missions after you get the sniper rifles? (Obviously very few missions would support that). and at some points you can surrender, maybe make funny achievements like 'Gave up, Surrendered to the enemy'. in that first mission for the Russians where the Scientists get attacked by the Apemen, make an achievement called 'Self Defense', for wiping the Apes out and/or making them route to a edge of a map or something without casualties.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the Apes run into their cave and vanish, so that kind of achievement would work perfectly if it's codeable.

I could throw more in, but I'd want to make sure there's interest first, and alot of my ideas would be hard to code I bet.

Of course, all my ideas belong to you guys or I wouldn't suggest it, I heard something about legal troubles if I didn't say somethin' like that, but that may have just been a load of bologne which I suspect, because I always figured suggesting something handed over the idea anyway, that's the point of suggesting.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:51 am 

Sure, fire away.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:18 pm 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

Greetings from Czech republic. First, I am sorry for my english. That is not my native language, so I have to use a translator and dictionary. And now I have some ideas about achievements. One achievement could be that player see all endings (victory of am, aliance am victory, russian victory,...) and I also counted with don´t enter the EON and stay with Platonov. It could name something like Cognizant story. And second achivement could be that Macmillan or Burlak have all profession (solider, scientist,...) on level 10. It could name something like Universal solider.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:57 pm 

The ones with completing the campaign from different angles we already have (refer to the bug tracker issue link on top of the first post in this thread). The universal soldier is new. We can do that.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:43 pm 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

davidjaho wrote:
And second achivement could be that Macmillan or Burlak have all profession (solider, scientist,...) on level 10. It could name something like Universal solider.

I don't think it's possible (without exploids) to get this. I remember trying with Macmillan, getting as much exp as i could from each mission. He was 10/8/8/9 i think. Im not sure if you can do it with Burlak though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next