Goto https://www.stucuk.netGoto https://www.atlanticaonlinewiki.comGoto https://www.game-requirements.com

Menu

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mission 07
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:32 am 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

0dd1 wrote:
The reduction was unnecessary imo. 2 barracks and 4 gun turrets with 2-3 engineers constantly repairing it, all built on that hill in the centre with gentler slope facing top left corner always did the trick on hard for me. Alternatively you can squeeze your whole base into top right corner, which makes defending it easier.

Are you talking about the hill which is below the center siberite and oil deposit? That hill doesn't defend any of the 3 siberite deposits and having to build your base behind it would be pretty inconvenient. It is also quite small and susceptible to a nice concave attack. However, I could see it working.

There is another hill to the top left of the above hill I just mentioned but the lower ground is towards the bottom right (attack comes from top left so no advantage here). I tried building there once but soldiers just poured through the middle forest while vehicles went via the left (surprise) and right sides.

The last hill would be the one on the top right, which is kind of horizontal and doesn't seem suitable for defending an attack coming from its left.

I ultimately decided to just build my defense on the one sole chokepoint, which is directly left of the last hill I mentioned. 2 gun turrets on each side, 2 in the middle, 2 on the leftmost side of the forest's exit and 2 barracks in between. However, I still lost but I bought a lot of time and my warehouse, labs, factory and mines were not destroyed. Only the defenses, most of my power plants and a few apeman got destroyed before they retreated.

I might give it a go again to see if I can defend properly (without the 1 minute reduction), after I'm done with Mission 8 which is also pretty tough on hard since infantry attacks always get me lol.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:36 pm 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

Just made a quick playthrough.
Attachment:
07a.JPG
07a.JPG [ 57.18 KiB | Viewed 1081 times ]

The lower ground is to the bottom right so no advantage there. When I first played this mission i thought "...and why the hell not?" The fact that it's facing my base only means my own defences are a bit inaccessible. Beside that it's still a bloody hill, the slope may be gentler on the other side, but it's still a bit elevated.
Note that the turrets on the left are placed a bit too far away from the barracks, I made a slight mistake but it still worked alright. It's also important to maintain the defence yourself during the attack, watch which turrets are taking damage and redirect the engs accordingly. Also mind that the guns have this idiotic habbit of shotting at humans, even though they're very ineffective, instead of vehicles by default.

btw the other side:
Attachment:
07b.JPG
07b.JPG [ 54.91 KiB | Viewed 1081 times ]

My weakest soldier and 2 apes. A few vehicles during the attack can separate and attack from there. I built a second depot so the soldier can easily change into an engineer and repair the damage. That way I don't have to take anyone else from the main defence.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:18 pm 

Hitting the right difficulty is not easy and the hardest difficulty is perhaps the most difficult to balance properly. At least for me because I'm not very good at RTS games so I have to rely on feedback from pro gamers like you :P For hard difficulty I assume the player has played the mission before and want a strategic challenge. So I don't expect the player to make it in first go but perhaps second or third.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:32 pm 
Soldier level 0
Soldier level 0

Ah, I think building too close to the attack's spawning location was the problem. Maybe for every unit taken down, another instantly replaces it. I built on that location the first try but was way too spread out in a line.